Friday, September 14, 2012

Arrived in South Bend, Indiana

We slept in and got on the road at 10:15. The foliage has turned less vibrant. Still lots of trees but it looks kind of washed out. We pass Puxatawny but don't see Phil (the famous groundhog). There are lots and lots of trucks, many of them recruiting drivers. It's not a life I would want, but I guess I can see some people wanting the freedom of being on the road. I expected route 80 to have great cell reception all the way through, but there are spots where it drops down to one bar. I guess it's the mountains interfering.

11:48 as we enter Ohio. Now this is what I remember from when we lived in the Midwest and would drive to NY to visit friends and family. The exits are filled with food, gas and lodging and 400' high signs advertising their presence. 12:30, it's getting even less green.  We notice the sped limit here is 70mph. I don't know of any place near the metro NY area that's over 65. Interesting though, people go 70 when the limit is 65, and still go 70 when the limit is 70.

We stop for lunch in Macedonia, OH. Not much to see.

Back in the car, we start making a list of the things we have to do as soon as possible when we arrive in Henderson. Buy a bedroom set, buy a car, register to vote. In Nevada, your vote really counts because it is a swing state.

Mel starts complaining of a headache after driving for a fairly short while. As he says it, I realize my head hurts too. I notice that I am squinting because of the sun and suggest we get sunglasses. My glasses turn into sun glasses, but it doesn't work inside a car. So we stop at the next service area and buy Mel sun glasses. He had never worn any. But boy did it make a difference. They didn't have clip ons so I will have to wait til the next stop.

5:10 and we are in Indiana. The price of gas here is 50 cents more than it was in Ohio.

At 6:45 we meet Dave Groff, a colleague from Polylogics, at a Chinese restaurant in South Bend. His lovely wife, Sharon joins us as we are finishing. It's the first time we got to meet her. We went back to their house for a couple of hours and had a very pleasant evening.



This morning we saw the Notre Dame campus. It's really beautiful. Now it's time to hit the road again.  We will get to our son's house this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment